Skip to main content

Exploring Turkish Clothing

So I have been quiet for a bit, but I return with new experience and insight. Ottoman Turkey was a major trading partner and military opponent to Poland, Hungary, Italy, and France during the sixteenth century. Without their presence the political climate of the time could have been very different. So get ready to fall down the rabbit hole into some research on the clothing of Ottoman Turkish women.

Mistress Sabiha,OP, come to our tiny town to teach a class on 16th century Turkish clothing. Her wealth of information made my head spin as she walked us through patterning the layers, selecting fabrics, and general information on Turkish women. After this class I sought to make an outfit so I could better understand the construction and assist some of our local group make their own.

Women of the Palace, 16th century
For those of you who are new to Turkish clothing let me talk you through the layers we discussed.
1. Golmek- This is your underwear/ against the skin layer. Upper class women would have large open sleeves and gold embroidery along the seams. The slit from the neck could go quite low and expose some cleavage. Usually white, but I have seen suggestions of other colors (black).
2. Salvar- Your Pants! Men and women both wore pants in Turkey. The crotches were often pieced on extant garments. Held in place by a drawstring.
Szigetvári Csöbör Balázs drew several Turksih Miniatures that are dated to 1570 during the Turkish occupation of central Hungary.
This Figure is a bit unique, but does show most of the possible layers a lady would wear.  
3.Midtan- These are short vests which we know were worn in later centuries by Turkish women, and in the 16th century by children at least. For more information please see Mistress Sabhia's blog below.
4. Yelek- This is one of my favorite garments. A long vest which can act as a supportive garment if fitted correctly. They are closed with buttons.
5. Entari- These are lightly fitted, long coats and what women would have worn regularly.
6. Caftan- A large ceremonial/ out-door coat.
My Entiri is made from a wool blend. (In progress image) Here you see that I chose to incorporate the button loops into a decorative element. 

We did briefly mention other accessories such as sashes, wooden sandals, fans, small veils, and the flower pot hat. With a little time and research interested parties could find out more on these subjects or you could e-mail the go-to-girl herself.

Other Good pages for more information on Turkish Clothing...
Mistress Sabhia's blog
Ottoman Empire Clothiers on Facebook
Ottoman Women's Clothing late 15th through 16th century
Gallery of Extent Turkish Garments
An overview of Turksih Women's Clothing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pockets in the 16th Century?

So if you are new to my blog, Hello! I took July off to focus on work and realities of covid life. Thanks for hanging in there.  This week we are doing to cover 16th Soccocia and their role toward the origin of pockets. People need a place to carry and keep their small items as they walk around. In the middle ages you might have a pilgrim satchel or a belt pouch. Some women in the middle ages had the brilliant idea to stop wearing their money purses outside of their over gowns and instead would wear them between their kirtle/sottona layer and over gowns. This arrangement still gave you access to the purse, but made it harder for thieves to cut your purse strings and run.  Fast forward to the 16th century and we find the heirs to this practice in socaccia. We have some visual evidence of these in mid to late 16th century art out of Italy. This is a detail of Alessandro Allori's,  Woman at her toilet, ca 1575-78. Currently in Florence, Church of Santa Maria Novella, Gaddi ...

Beginner's Lucet Tutorial

  I got a message recently asking for a tutorial on how to make a basic lucet cord since the only tutorial on my channel so far has been an advanced braid that features working 2 strands. This is the video for you if you are a newbie to using a lucet to make your own lacing for historical garments. Lucet has been used for ties, laces, and applied trim. Typically it is thought that the style might have originated with Norse cultures in the early medieval period. I encourage you to dive into the history of lucet and the different braids you can make with it if you are looking for a quick and compact way to make cord that you can put down and pick up as your time allows. The piece I made for this video took about 2 hours in real time and I did not speed up any of the clips I used to teach the technique, I simply trimmed down the footage. Have you ever used a lucet before? Tell me about your experiences in the comments and your preferred style of lucet fork. Do you like the large U s...

Tudor Tailor French Gown Foresleeves

While I am doing blackwork for 8 hours at a time, my Venetian camicia is not ready to be posted about yet. Instead I want to share some important information for anyone trying to make a French gown with accessories from The Tudor Tailor . I love this book but there were a few problems with the publication. The woman's foresleeves do in fact have a pattern included with the gown and kirtle, but the instructions were omitted at the time of publication. The wonderful women at The Tudor Tailor have since realized their mistake and will provide anyone with a pdf version of the instructions on their website. Detail of  Elizabeth I from The Family of Henry VII, Hampton Court Palace.  These sleeves are similar in size and style to the instructions given on The Tudor Tailor website.   I have observed that is is just one kind of foresleeve. I am working on a extensive handout on these accessories because of all of the variations available....