Skip to main content

Italian Lace Apron

Hey there readers, 

For a few years I've been in love with the idea of what would Belle from Disney's Beauty and the Beast look like if translated through the eyes of 16th century Italy. My first post in this series is actually going to be a white apron for this outfit, and give you instructions on how to make your own. Enjoy! 


Use of Aprons in 16th century Italy


The basic apron style of a rectangle gathered with a waistband has not changed for
hundreds of years, and were popular with Italian women during the 16th century. Italians
seem to have viewed this as much more utilitarian than other places in Europe where
women were sitting in formal portraits with them. Italian women of the upper class only
seem to wear them in private. These aprons have lovely embroidery or expensive lace
worked into them. My goal in making mine was to continue to expand on my 16th century
woman’s toilet, where women wore them to help keep clothing clean while dressing hair
and applying cosmetics.

Working class women would wear aprons as a staple of their wardrobes, but seem to have

favored sturdier embroidery of red or black silk to decorate their aprons rather than lace.
As a design choice I have chosen to use a lace apron for Belle to keep with the white one
she wears in the first scenes of the movie, rather than going strictly by the social class the
rest of this outfit will be inspired by.



Alessandro Allori, Woman at her Toilet 1575-78, fresco, Florence, Church of Santa
Maria Novella, Gaddi chapel.

Materials 


2 ply linen hand sewing thread
Beeswax cake
Sewing needle and pins
Scissors
Iron
Bobbin lace
Narrowest edge 1 ½ yds
Middle insertion 4 ½ yds
Wide band 32 inches
Scallop edge 32 inches
Plain woven linen ¾ yds (approximately)


.
Construction

1. I used my scissors to even up my linen pieces. My apron was a stash busting project
made with scrap leftover from making underwear over the last few years. I picked a
lightweight linen to compliment the fine lace I was going to be using. My strips average 6
inches by 28 inches. There were 2 panels I left wider in the middle for added coverage while
applying powder, but all could be the same size as is in the original. I also cut off 2  strips
of linen to become apron strings 2 inches by 48 inches.

2. Hem the long sides of each panel and 1 short side. I used a Rolled him for my pieces. 

3. Cut middle insertion lace into 4 equal pieces so you don’t run out of lace mid panel.
Cut narrow edge lace in 2 equal pieces.

4.Apply narrow lace along the long edge of one of your linen panels. I used a running stitch
over my rolled hem with the edge of the lace extending past the linen. Do this on another
panel to mirror  the first  side done. I find it helpful to pin the lace to the linen as I work. 

5. Take the middle lace and one of the edged panels. Pin lace over the rolled him on the
opposite side. Tack lace down to seam through the picots (edge points). Follow this process
to attach each panel and middle insertion band ending with the panel that mirrors the first
with edging lace. Hem insertion lace as you work.

 

6.Take the wide band of lace and scallop edge and carefully whip stitch these together along

the
long edge to create  your decorative bottom band. Make sure the hem your shorter ends

7. Attach the lace band across the finished bottom edge of the apron using the same
technique as with the insertion lace. The more invisible your stitching the greater the effect. 

8. Run, even, gathering stitches across the raw edge of the apron and gather to your
preferred width. I personally liked 14 inches. 

9.Create apron strings by attaching the two linen strips together with a back stitch and finger
press seam open. I double folded linen to create a strip ½ inch wide and whip stitched the
bottom edge leaving a 14 inch gap in the middle to act as a binding for the top of the apron.
Ironing the linen strip will make this process easier.

10. Bind off the top of the apron gathers in the opening.I stitched apron to strings with a back

stitch and then a felling stitch to close the binding. 
Press and spin around in your new pretty apron! 


Inspiration and Final results

"Tabby linen with lacework, h 90cm, w 90cm, belt 87cm. Museo del Tessuto, Prato"


My completed Apron

Thank you for reading and I hope you have lots of fun exploring more aprons to make with your own outfits! 




Bibliography


Crowfoot, Elisabeth and Frances Prichard and Kay Staniland. Textiles and Clothing 1150-1450. 2012. ISBN 978-1-84383-29-3
Landini, Roberta Orsi and Bruna Niccoli. Moda a Firenze 1540-1580. 2005. 
 ISBN 88-8304-867-9
Wake, Anabelle. Extant Aprons. http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/workbox/extapr.htm.
Accessed 1 April 2020




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pockets in the 16th Century?

So if you are new to my blog, Hello! I took July off to focus on work and realities of covid life. Thanks for hanging in there.  This week we are doing to cover 16th Soccocia and their role toward the origin of pockets. People need a place to carry and keep their small items as they walk around. In the middle ages you might have a pilgrim satchel or a belt pouch. Some women in the middle ages had the brilliant idea to stop wearing their money purses outside of their over gowns and instead would wear them between their kirtle/sottona layer and over gowns. This arrangement still gave you access to the purse, but made it harder for thieves to cut your purse strings and run.  Fast forward to the 16th century and we find the heirs to this practice in socaccia. We have some visual evidence of these in mid to late 16th century art out of Italy. This is a detail of Alessandro Allori's,  Woman at her toilet, ca 1575-78. Currently in Florence, Church of Santa Maria Novella, Gaddi Chapel.  J

Two Tone Lucet Cording

  Hello Beautiful Humans! Today I have a brief tutorial for you on how I made the lucet lacings for my most recent renaissance dress. It is a craft that is hard to document in the 16th century, where I do most of my work, but I love how quickly this technique works up into fairly strong cording. This two tone technique is much stronger than a typical single strand lucet braid because of the extra cord running through the entire cord. I also love the possibilities for coordinating your laces to your outfits. My laces were made much longer than I needed them for this dress. Looking back I could have cut my lacing in half and been fine, but now I have all this extra if I should ever need it. Long laces also mean I can pre-lace myself into this dress with a spiral lace and then tighten it until I feel comfortable. For this particular style of lucet I used a hardwood lucet fork I purchased from an 18th century reenactor, a skein of DMC 6-strand embroidery floss, and a ball of size 10 cr

Voided Velvet Sleeves from a Thrift Store Scarf

  Detachable sleeves are one of my favorite things to make for renaissance dresses, and always seem to be the last thing I think to make when I'm planning my outfits. These sleeves are made from thrift store fabric to mimic one possible way that "cut work sleeves" were made in the period. There are several theories, and my research has made me think that they all may have been in use at different points in time for different specific motifs. To make these sleeves I used a voided velvet scarf I found at my local thrift store and remnants of rayon velvet, silk shantung, and linen. Techniques I cover in the video include basting, hemming stitches, and how to easily sew with velvet. I completed the project using a mix of hand sewing and a modern sewing machine. I love wearing these Italian renaissance dresses at reenactment events or when I attend events for the Society of Creative Anachronism. Groups like this have helped me learn more about how period techniques and mate