Skip to main content

Moving in the SCA

Lets have a chat about playing in the SCA in a modern US economy. In my 20s, I move around a lot. At first it was for college, then after College I followed the man I loved for his career, and then finally I moved for my own career a few times. With everyone safer at home and social distancing it has had me reflecting on what made my different SCA moves successful or not. In this post I'm hoping to share some unsolicited advice from someone who lived in 4 kingdoms over 13 years, and works in the self storage industry today helping hundreds of people move every year. 

My first Laurel's Prize Tournament in Ansteorra, 2016


1. Reach Out
I am incredibly introverted and reserved so I know how scary this first step can be. Before you start moving, but after you know it is going to happen, look up your new SCA branch and say hello. Most groups will have a page on Facebook or a website where you can start to learn more about that group, when they meet, their own unique culture, etc. The SCA doesn't pay for adds online so you will have to be proactive and make that first step. Remember that your group might be in transition themselves so give them a little time or a follow up email if you don't get a response. Sometimes links break. Local and Kingdom news letters can also be a wealth of information. 

2. Talk to Your Friends
The 6 degrees of separation theory is alive an well in the SCA. You probably know someone who knows someone near by your new group if you start to ask around. I always like to see if I have a mutual acquaintance with my new groups to start a new conversation. This can be helpful when getting ready for your first event and want to know someone there, or if you are needing some help being introduced to your new friends. 

3. Pack with Care
This has to do with the nature of your move. Are you moving across country or is it more local? Will your items be stored in a warehouse or will you have access to them? How soon after the move do you want to go to events? What types of events?
Let me introduce you to the concept of "the first day box" and how it relates to the SCA. A first day box in moving is the big box you put everything you will need the first night you get into your new place because you may be too tired to unpack. Common things to put in there might be a pot and utensils to make pasta, bedding, ibuprofen, toilet paper,soap, paper towels and plates, etc. I like to label this box and have it be the last thing loaded on the truck so it is the first thing to come off. Allow me to suggest doing something similar for your SCA hobby. If you plan to event in your first few months in your new place searching through boxes can be stressful. Pack your favorite outfit and accessories as if you were going to an event, maybe some feast gear, a game or project, etc. This will let you be ready to go out and play with your new friends that much faster. Moving is stressful enough without depriving you of breaks for things you enjoy. 

4. Say your Good Byes
In the grand scheme of things, we are a rather small group  and you may have touched someone in a way that you are unaware of. If you can, pick a final event  in your current home and let people know this is their chance to say good bye. All that love can make leaving harder, but it could also lead to plans of your friends visiting you in your new home. Good byes are rarely forever in the SCA. Thanks to the internet and large regional events many of us can  stay in touch over the years.

5. Wear your Favorite Ensemble
This is a trick my laurel gave me. Wear your favorite outfit at your first event. No necessarily the most accurate, or the one with the most awards, the one that makes you happiest and most comfortable. This will help your own confidence as you walk around the event, and you will have something you can talk to others about. The people who think it is cool too will find you and say hi. 

6. Every Kingdom is Unique
If you are homesick it can be really hard to stay out of the "in my last kingdom we...." pit fall. Please remember that there are going to be things you love about your new group, and things you will miss about your old one. Its OK to feel this way, but its not OK to talk down to your new companions because it was better where you used to be. Take a look through local sumptuary laws for differences from your last group. Learn about the history and traditions that you are now a part of. Try and remember this is an adventure and not everyone will have had the same wider world view that you will have, and that is OK too. 

7. Volunteer/Teach
Volunteering to help with events, projects, or individuals at an event is a great way to meet someone. Many of my best friendships over the years have been formed under a parasol or over a pot of soup. You of course should not put more on your plate than you can handle, but do remember that volunteering is a great foot in the door. 

8. Teacher Relationships
After playing for a few years, many of us will have relationships with mentors and teachers from one discipline or another. This culture of mentor-ship is something about the SCA which I cherish, and each one of these relationships is going to be unique based on your discipline and goals. I have spoken the longer term players than myself the told me they returned their "belt" or severed the formal relationship in some way because one of the members moved away. With modern technologies that may not be necessary. Please discuss how your move will effect these relationships with all parties involved to make sure expectations and desires are clear going forward. I personally have chosen to keep the same laurel through my last 3 big moves. 

9. Try Something New
Have you been wanting to change your name, persona, etc? A Move can be a great time to do that. Your new group will likely not know you from your previous experiences giving you that chance to try on new interests and personas. 

10. You are now an Ambassador
In the middle ages, many courts would have visitors conveying words or interests from their home to a foreign power, creating alliances, etc.While it is not likely that you along will make or break the relationship between 2 kingdoms, it is worth remembering you are likely to be the  one of the only people someone knows to have moved from your old home to your new one. Your behavior can become a caricature of the region, so while your mannerisms are going to be different, remember that we are a society of grace and chivalry. 

As the economy starts to shift I hope that you can find some helpful advice in this article. While I am not officially writing for the SCA, I can speak to my experiences in membership over the years. Please comment below if you also have tips on moving and playing SCA. 

Picture of myself on my way to my first Outlands Coronation, May 2018

Comments

  1. Helpful thing I forgot in writing this post is don't forget to visit sca.org and update you membership address!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pockets in the 16th Century?

So if you are new to my blog, Hello! I took July off to focus on work and realities of covid life. Thanks for hanging in there.  This week we are doing to cover 16th Soccocia and their role toward the origin of pockets. People need a place to carry and keep their small items as they walk around. In the middle ages you might have a pilgrim satchel or a belt pouch. Some women in the middle ages had the brilliant idea to stop wearing their money purses outside of their over gowns and instead would wear them between their kirtle/sottona layer and over gowns. This arrangement still gave you access to the purse, but made it harder for thieves to cut your purse strings and run.  Fast forward to the 16th century and we find the heirs to this practice in socaccia. We have some visual evidence of these in mid to late 16th century art out of Italy. This is a detail of Alessandro Allori's,  Woman at her toilet, ca 1575-78. Currently in Florence, Church of Santa Maria Novella, Gaddi Chapel.  J

Two Tone Lucet Cording

  Hello Beautiful Humans! Today I have a brief tutorial for you on how I made the lucet lacings for my most recent renaissance dress. It is a craft that is hard to document in the 16th century, where I do most of my work, but I love how quickly this technique works up into fairly strong cording. This two tone technique is much stronger than a typical single strand lucet braid because of the extra cord running through the entire cord. I also love the possibilities for coordinating your laces to your outfits. My laces were made much longer than I needed them for this dress. Looking back I could have cut my lacing in half and been fine, but now I have all this extra if I should ever need it. Long laces also mean I can pre-lace myself into this dress with a spiral lace and then tighten it until I feel comfortable. For this particular style of lucet I used a hardwood lucet fork I purchased from an 18th century reenactor, a skein of DMC 6-strand embroidery floss, and a ball of size 10 cr

Voided Velvet Sleeves from a Thrift Store Scarf

  Detachable sleeves are one of my favorite things to make for renaissance dresses, and always seem to be the last thing I think to make when I'm planning my outfits. These sleeves are made from thrift store fabric to mimic one possible way that "cut work sleeves" were made in the period. There are several theories, and my research has made me think that they all may have been in use at different points in time for different specific motifs. To make these sleeves I used a voided velvet scarf I found at my local thrift store and remnants of rayon velvet, silk shantung, and linen. Techniques I cover in the video include basting, hemming stitches, and how to easily sew with velvet. I completed the project using a mix of hand sewing and a modern sewing machine. I love wearing these Italian renaissance dresses at reenactment events or when I attend events for the Society of Creative Anachronism. Groups like this have helped me learn more about how period techniques and mate