Skip to main content

1 Day Make Muff Tutorial, because it is snowing again in Denver

 Hello Beautiful Humans!

It is snowing in Denver again, and yes I know it is the end of May. That's life living close to the mountains though. Inspired by today's snow I thought I would share my video tutorial on making 16th century muffs. Grab some tea because we are going to do a 1 day make project to start getting you ready for our cooler weather that will be starting next month. a few years ago I did a lot of research into how fur was used and worn in 16th century fashion, which lead me down the rabbit hole of researching methods of keeping your hands warm during the renaissance. I was shocked to learn people were using muffs as a dress accessory by the 2nd half of the 16th century to keep their hands warm. It is the earliest reference I have found to these tube shaped dress accessories being used, but if you know about earlier references please let me know in the comments.

For more details on muffs I've included a link back to my blog post I made about them, including historical references. Original Blog Post

Woodcut included in video is from Cesare Vecellio's Habiti Antichi et Moderni: The Clothing of the Renaissance World. Translated by Margaret F. Rosenthal and Ann Rosalind Jones. Thames & Hudson, 2008.
affiliate link for book click here
You can also find copies of this woodcut online in the Museum of London's archives: images Items you will need for this project: 1/2 to 1/3 yd of fashion fabric such as velvet 1/2 to 1/3 yd of faux fur (choices discussed in video) 1 yd cotton batting Trims, beads, and pearls to decorate your muff Buttons and cording Chalk, scissors, pins, needles, thread I hope you enjoy this 1 day make to add more detail to your own renaissance wardrobe. If you make one of your won I would love to share it on Instagram stories! Tag me @maridith.smith Thank you so much for watching my video and I hope you have a beautiful day!

Bisou Bisou, Maridith

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pockets in the 16th Century?

So if you are new to my blog, Hello! I took July off to focus on work and realities of covid life. Thanks for hanging in there.  This week we are doing to cover 16th Soccocia and their role toward the origin of pockets. People need a place to carry and keep their small items as they walk around. In the middle ages you might have a pilgrim satchel or a belt pouch. Some women in the middle ages had the brilliant idea to stop wearing their money purses outside of their over gowns and instead would wear them between their kirtle/sottona layer and over gowns. This arrangement still gave you access to the purse, but made it harder for thieves to cut your purse strings and run.  Fast forward to the 16th century and we find the heirs to this practice in socaccia. We have some visual evidence of these in mid to late 16th century art out of Italy. This is a detail of Alessandro Allori's,  Woman at her toilet, ca 1575-78. Currently in Florence, Church of Santa Maria Novella, Gaddi ...

Beginner's Lucet Tutorial

  I got a message recently asking for a tutorial on how to make a basic lucet cord since the only tutorial on my channel so far has been an advanced braid that features working 2 strands. This is the video for you if you are a newbie to using a lucet to make your own lacing for historical garments. Lucet has been used for ties, laces, and applied trim. Typically it is thought that the style might have originated with Norse cultures in the early medieval period. I encourage you to dive into the history of lucet and the different braids you can make with it if you are looking for a quick and compact way to make cord that you can put down and pick up as your time allows. The piece I made for this video took about 2 hours in real time and I did not speed up any of the clips I used to teach the technique, I simply trimmed down the footage. Have you ever used a lucet before? Tell me about your experiences in the comments and your preferred style of lucet fork. Do you like the large U s...

Tudor Tailor French Gown Foresleeves

While I am doing blackwork for 8 hours at a time, my Venetian camicia is not ready to be posted about yet. Instead I want to share some important information for anyone trying to make a French gown with accessories from The Tudor Tailor . I love this book but there were a few problems with the publication. The woman's foresleeves do in fact have a pattern included with the gown and kirtle, but the instructions were omitted at the time of publication. The wonderful women at The Tudor Tailor have since realized their mistake and will provide anyone with a pdf version of the instructions on their website. Detail of  Elizabeth I from The Family of Henry VII, Hampton Court Palace.  These sleeves are similar in size and style to the instructions given on The Tudor Tailor website.   I have observed that is is just one kind of foresleeve. I am working on a extensive handout on these accessories because of all of the variations available....