Skip to main content

Florentine Hairstyles in the mid 16th Century

Eleonora di Toledo had an iconic look which she altered very little during her lifetime. This statement applies to her hair styles as much as the iconic dress style she popularized in Tuscany. Through her life, Eleonora would wear a jeweled hair net over her hair. Her daughters and other members of the court can be seen without a net. Instead these ladies would have jewels or ribbons in their hair. This tutorial is to help you style your hair in the Florentine fashion of Eleonora's court. Let's begin!
Eleonora di Toledo by Bronzino. Currently at the National Gallery of Prague.
Painted shortly after her marriage to Duke Cosimo di Medici of Tuscany in 1539.

What you Need:
Needle and Thread
Snips
Hair Bodkin with 1/4 inch tape roughly 2 yards is plenty
Hair comb
Hair net

Elenonora di Toldedo by Bronzino in the Wallace Collection, London. 

How to:
Step 1. Comb out hair until smooth and part down center with your hair bodkin. Then twist bangs from your center part to above your ear. Use hair bodkin to assist taking portions and shaping twist. Secure twists behind your ears with needle and thread. Snip thread and repeat for other side. When finished these twists will frame the face.

Step 2. Braid tail of the twists into the remaining hair, and maintain your center part. Secure ends with needle and thread for each side.

Step 3. Position braids in a circle toward the back of your crown. Tuck braid tails under your braids

Step 4. Secure by sewing braids to the hair underneath  or using the hair bodkin and tape. I prefer tape as dark as my hair so I can reuse it for many years in this case. 


Step 5. Cover braids with  jeweled hairnet. I do not have one finished yet, but will post an update when that happens. 

Lady in Green by Alessandro Allori, 1560
San Diego Museum of Art, San Diego, California  1940.75


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pockets in the 16th Century?

So if you are new to my blog, Hello! I took July off to focus on work and realities of covid life. Thanks for hanging in there.  This week we are doing to cover 16th Soccocia and their role toward the origin of pockets. People need a place to carry and keep their small items as they walk around. In the middle ages you might have a pilgrim satchel or a belt pouch. Some women in the middle ages had the brilliant idea to stop wearing their money purses outside of their over gowns and instead would wear them between their kirtle/sottona layer and over gowns. This arrangement still gave you access to the purse, but made it harder for thieves to cut your purse strings and run.  Fast forward to the 16th century and we find the heirs to this practice in socaccia. We have some visual evidence of these in mid to late 16th century art out of Italy. This is a detail of Alessandro Allori's,  Woman at her toilet, ca 1575-78. Currently in Florence, Church of Santa Maria Novella, Gaddi ...

Beginner's Lucet Tutorial

  I got a message recently asking for a tutorial on how to make a basic lucet cord since the only tutorial on my channel so far has been an advanced braid that features working 2 strands. This is the video for you if you are a newbie to using a lucet to make your own lacing for historical garments. Lucet has been used for ties, laces, and applied trim. Typically it is thought that the style might have originated with Norse cultures in the early medieval period. I encourage you to dive into the history of lucet and the different braids you can make with it if you are looking for a quick and compact way to make cord that you can put down and pick up as your time allows. The piece I made for this video took about 2 hours in real time and I did not speed up any of the clips I used to teach the technique, I simply trimmed down the footage. Have you ever used a lucet before? Tell me about your experiences in the comments and your preferred style of lucet fork. Do you like the large U s...

Tudor Tailor French Gown Foresleeves

While I am doing blackwork for 8 hours at a time, my Venetian camicia is not ready to be posted about yet. Instead I want to share some important information for anyone trying to make a French gown with accessories from The Tudor Tailor . I love this book but there were a few problems with the publication. The woman's foresleeves do in fact have a pattern included with the gown and kirtle, but the instructions were omitted at the time of publication. The wonderful women at The Tudor Tailor have since realized their mistake and will provide anyone with a pdf version of the instructions on their website. Detail of  Elizabeth I from The Family of Henry VII, Hampton Court Palace.  These sleeves are similar in size and style to the instructions given on The Tudor Tailor website.   I have observed that is is just one kind of foresleeve. I am working on a extensive handout on these accessories because of all of the variations available....