Skip to main content

Blackwork, A Historical Introduction

Have you ever noticed the difference between a pretty Henrician ensemble and an exquisite one? What made the difference for you? For myself and many others, the difference that makes our heart stop is the detail and care put into the outfit. during Henry VIII's reign there are numerous ways to embellish your clothing, and most of these techniques are best done the same way there were back then-- by hand.
There are legends that state that Katherine of Aragon brought this technique to England. In the modern era, costume historians have corrected this assumption. Blackwork was indeed popularized in England by Katherine, but it was a style that had already existed in the tiny island kingdom.
Miniature of Henry FitzRoy, Duke of Richmond and Somerset, painted by Lucas Horenbout. Fitzroy wears an intimate cap with a repeating blackwork pattern worked across it.

Through the numerous portraits from this period, as well as some later extent garments, costume and textile researchers have studies these techniques. Janet Arnold devotes whole passages in her book, Patterns of Fashion 1560-1615, to style of embellishment and embroidery.

Getting patterns for these embroideries, such as counted and uncounted blackwork, from period portraits and textiles can be fun. Remember to start with a simple pattern and work your way up in complexity.
Counted patterns can be a little more complicated to reproduce, but they are well worth the effort.
This portrait of Bess of Hardwick painted in the 1550's is famous for its simple and intricate embroidery using this technique. Not only is the interlocking pattern on her sleeves greatly detailed, but it is also a leading example of colors, other than black, which were used.

a simple way to try this technique and incorporate it into your 16th century closet. Make a cuff for your smock or shirt using a high count cross stitch linen. Embroider the fabric in two rows, long enough to use as your cuff. Don't for get to leave about a 1/2 inch to 1 inch seam allowance for sewing your cuffs together and attaching them to your garment. As you get better move away from the cross stitch linen  and use linen the same weight and the rest of the garment. Once you are comfortable with embroidering on standard linen fabric try embroidering some frills to attach to your cuffs.
Miniature of Queen Katherine Howard by Hans Holbein the Younger, ca 1541.

For More information on this technique and some practice patterns try some of these links.
West Kingdom Needleworkers Guild
Blackwork Archives
Embroidery class taught by Taught by Baron K. Braden von Sobernheim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pockets in the 16th Century?

So if you are new to my blog, Hello! I took July off to focus on work and realities of covid life. Thanks for hanging in there.  This week we are doing to cover 16th Soccocia and their role toward the origin of pockets. People need a place to carry and keep their small items as they walk around. In the middle ages you might have a pilgrim satchel or a belt pouch. Some women in the middle ages had the brilliant idea to stop wearing their money purses outside of their over gowns and instead would wear them between their kirtle/sottona layer and over gowns. This arrangement still gave you access to the purse, but made it harder for thieves to cut your purse strings and run.  Fast forward to the 16th century and we find the heirs to this practice in socaccia. We have some visual evidence of these in mid to late 16th century art out of Italy. This is a detail of Alessandro Allori's,  Woman at her toilet, ca 1575-78. Currently in Florence, Church of Santa Maria Novella, Gaddi Chapel.  J

Two Tone Lucet Cording

  Hello Beautiful Humans! Today I have a brief tutorial for you on how I made the lucet lacings for my most recent renaissance dress. It is a craft that is hard to document in the 16th century, where I do most of my work, but I love how quickly this technique works up into fairly strong cording. This two tone technique is much stronger than a typical single strand lucet braid because of the extra cord running through the entire cord. I also love the possibilities for coordinating your laces to your outfits. My laces were made much longer than I needed them for this dress. Looking back I could have cut my lacing in half and been fine, but now I have all this extra if I should ever need it. Long laces also mean I can pre-lace myself into this dress with a spiral lace and then tighten it until I feel comfortable. For this particular style of lucet I used a hardwood lucet fork I purchased from an 18th century reenactor, a skein of DMC 6-strand embroidery floss, and a ball of size 10 cr

Voided Velvet Sleeves from a Thrift Store Scarf

  Detachable sleeves are one of my favorite things to make for renaissance dresses, and always seem to be the last thing I think to make when I'm planning my outfits. These sleeves are made from thrift store fabric to mimic one possible way that "cut work sleeves" were made in the period. There are several theories, and my research has made me think that they all may have been in use at different points in time for different specific motifs. To make these sleeves I used a voided velvet scarf I found at my local thrift store and remnants of rayon velvet, silk shantung, and linen. Techniques I cover in the video include basting, hemming stitches, and how to easily sew with velvet. I completed the project using a mix of hand sewing and a modern sewing machine. I love wearing these Italian renaissance dresses at reenactment events or when I attend events for the Society of Creative Anachronism. Groups like this have helped me learn more about how period techniques and mate