Skip to main content

Beginners Guide to Padstitching

 Hello Beautiful Humans!

Today I wanted to cover how to pad stitch an interlining. When I teach sewing and historical tailoring classes in person I always seem to have people astonished by the amount of hand sewing it can take to complete one of my garments. I was that person too when I started. I remember swearing I would never put that much hand sewing into a garment, and then I slowly realized skipping these steps was not giving me the results I wanted. This video is dedicated to me 7 years ago, and anyone else who is looking for the next step to improve their tailored garments. I hope this video is inspiring and helps to demystify some of the basic techniques I use in my videos and garments. If you have another technique you would like me to do a deep dive tutorial on please let me know in the comments. In the modern day, professional tailors go through years of apprenticeship to learn their trade and I don't want anyone to be confused here. I am not a tailor. I have done alterations and working on military uniforms, but I was not trained as a professional tailor. If you would like more information on this and other tailoring techniques from the source I am going to recommend the resources linked below. These are affiliate links to books on Amazon if you would like to support my channel by using the links below.

If you're not an Amazon fan you can also look up the authors independently. Couture Sewing Techniques by Claire B Schaeffer Amazon link Modern Maker Volume 3: Hand Sewing Stitches for Garment Construction by Matthew Gnagy amazon link Until next time, keep reading, keep stitching, and be kind to each other! Bisou Bisou Maridith



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pockets in the 16th Century?

So if you are new to my blog, Hello! I took July off to focus on work and realities of covid life. Thanks for hanging in there.  This week we are doing to cover 16th Soccocia and their role toward the origin of pockets. People need a place to carry and keep their small items as they walk around. In the middle ages you might have a pilgrim satchel or a belt pouch. Some women in the middle ages had the brilliant idea to stop wearing their money purses outside of their over gowns and instead would wear them between their kirtle/sottona layer and over gowns. This arrangement still gave you access to the purse, but made it harder for thieves to cut your purse strings and run.  Fast forward to the 16th century and we find the heirs to this practice in socaccia. We have some visual evidence of these in mid to late 16th century art out of Italy. This is a detail of Alessandro Allori's,  Woman at her toilet, ca 1575-78. Currently in Florence, Church of Santa Maria Novella, Gaddi ...

Beginner's Lucet Tutorial

  I got a message recently asking for a tutorial on how to make a basic lucet cord since the only tutorial on my channel so far has been an advanced braid that features working 2 strands. This is the video for you if you are a newbie to using a lucet to make your own lacing for historical garments. Lucet has been used for ties, laces, and applied trim. Typically it is thought that the style might have originated with Norse cultures in the early medieval period. I encourage you to dive into the history of lucet and the different braids you can make with it if you are looking for a quick and compact way to make cord that you can put down and pick up as your time allows. The piece I made for this video took about 2 hours in real time and I did not speed up any of the clips I used to teach the technique, I simply trimmed down the footage. Have you ever used a lucet before? Tell me about your experiences in the comments and your preferred style of lucet fork. Do you like the large U s...

Tudor Tailor French Gown Foresleeves

While I am doing blackwork for 8 hours at a time, my Venetian camicia is not ready to be posted about yet. Instead I want to share some important information for anyone trying to make a French gown with accessories from The Tudor Tailor . I love this book but there were a few problems with the publication. The woman's foresleeves do in fact have a pattern included with the gown and kirtle, but the instructions were omitted at the time of publication. The wonderful women at The Tudor Tailor have since realized their mistake and will provide anyone with a pdf version of the instructions on their website. Detail of  Elizabeth I from The Family of Henry VII, Hampton Court Palace.  These sleeves are similar in size and style to the instructions given on The Tudor Tailor website.   I have observed that is is just one kind of foresleeve. I am working on a extensive handout on these accessories because of all of the variations available....