Skip to main content

I Made Renaissance Turn Shoes from a Kit!

 Good Morning Beautiful Humans!

Today I am keeping up with the request you gave me to give you a tutorial on making renaissance turn shoes. At the time of upload, this was the most requested video in my recent community poll. I purchased this kit after my friend Amber  @DSA Threads Costuming  make a pair for IRCC a few years ago. We chatted a bit while making them and she gave me some tips on how she decorated and sewed her shoes together. Check out the links below for her video on the shoes. I originally was planning to make and wear these as a back up plan for my elevation to the order of the laurel in January, but it was a bit too wet and cold for me to really want to wear them outside. Instead I will have them for some of our warmer weather coming up this spring. To make these shoes I used several of these items or similar tools. List does include Amazon affiliate links if you wish to purchase through them and continue to support this channel in a monetary way. Pattern and kit from Champaigne Faire Etsy Link Waxed Cotton Thread Leatherwork Needles Needle Pullers Micron Pen Craft Scissors Claw Clamps Small Side of Garment Weight Leather Assorted Chisels Awl Wooden Mallet Have you ever tried making your own shoes, or feel inspired to now that you have seen this video? Tell me about your experiences down in the comments section. As of right now I do not have any information about making shoes in a vegan friendly way, but if you have resources please feel free to chat about them in to comments.

Shoe Making from DSA Threads: Video Link
Nicole Rudolph - Professional Shoe Maker YouTube Channel Link Francis Classe's Website: Website Link Tandy Leather YouTube Channel Books on Medieval and Renaissance Shoe Making includes Amazon Affiliate links: Before the Heels: Footwear and Shoemaking in Turku in the Middle Ages and at the Beginning of the Early Modern Era. Janne Harjula. Published by Suomen keskiajan arkeologian seura, 2008. Purchase Here

Before the Mast: Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose, Vol 1. Edited by Julie Gardiner and Michael J. Allen. Published by the Mary Rose Trust, 2005. Purchase Here

Shoes and Pattens. Grancis Grew and Margrethe de Neergaard. Published by Museum of London, 2001. Purchase Here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pockets in the 16th Century?

So if you are new to my blog, Hello! I took July off to focus on work and realities of covid life. Thanks for hanging in there.  This week we are doing to cover 16th Soccocia and their role toward the origin of pockets. People need a place to carry and keep their small items as they walk around. In the middle ages you might have a pilgrim satchel or a belt pouch. Some women in the middle ages had the brilliant idea to stop wearing their money purses outside of their over gowns and instead would wear them between their kirtle/sottona layer and over gowns. This arrangement still gave you access to the purse, but made it harder for thieves to cut your purse strings and run.  Fast forward to the 16th century and we find the heirs to this practice in socaccia. We have some visual evidence of these in mid to late 16th century art out of Italy. This is a detail of Alessandro Allori's,  Woman at her toilet, ca 1575-78. Currently in Florence, Church of Santa Maria Novella, Gaddi ...

Beginner's Lucet Tutorial

  I got a message recently asking for a tutorial on how to make a basic lucet cord since the only tutorial on my channel so far has been an advanced braid that features working 2 strands. This is the video for you if you are a newbie to using a lucet to make your own lacing for historical garments. Lucet has been used for ties, laces, and applied trim. Typically it is thought that the style might have originated with Norse cultures in the early medieval period. I encourage you to dive into the history of lucet and the different braids you can make with it if you are looking for a quick and compact way to make cord that you can put down and pick up as your time allows. The piece I made for this video took about 2 hours in real time and I did not speed up any of the clips I used to teach the technique, I simply trimmed down the footage. Have you ever used a lucet before? Tell me about your experiences in the comments and your preferred style of lucet fork. Do you like the large U s...

Tudor Tailor French Gown Foresleeves

While I am doing blackwork for 8 hours at a time, my Venetian camicia is not ready to be posted about yet. Instead I want to share some important information for anyone trying to make a French gown with accessories from The Tudor Tailor . I love this book but there were a few problems with the publication. The woman's foresleeves do in fact have a pattern included with the gown and kirtle, but the instructions were omitted at the time of publication. The wonderful women at The Tudor Tailor have since realized their mistake and will provide anyone with a pdf version of the instructions on their website. Detail of  Elizabeth I from The Family of Henry VII, Hampton Court Palace.  These sleeves are similar in size and style to the instructions given on The Tudor Tailor website.   I have observed that is is just one kind of foresleeve. I am working on a extensive handout on these accessories because of all of the variations available....